10.05.2011

The Gear: Brooks PureFlow

In my never ending quest to find the perfect pair of running shoes (for me), there's always going to be an air of curiosity when a shoe manufacturer puts out a brand new line. Being that it was Brooks in this case, and that I tend to gravitate towards their shoes anyways, I had to try on a couple of their PureProject models too see how they felt.

A little personal history to put this in perspective: The first time I was ever fitted for shoes back in 2007, I was told to walk in a straight line for about twenty feet and then told to turn around and walk back. By this exhaustive method, a North Florida area running store (who will remain nameless) divined that I should run in a shoe that closer resembled a tank with quite a few stability features. I didn't know any better. They were the experts with the experience (I think).

Six months and an IT band scare or two later, I decided to go to another running store (the always impressive and gracious Jacksonville Running Company) for a second opinion. Funny thing about walking vs. running: Your biomechanics completely change when you're running at speed. I learned that I had neutral running mechanics. After trying about five different models from as many manufacturers, I started a new running journey in the Brooks Glycerin. The Glycerin was the SUV of running shoes for me. It'll get you where you want to go in comfort, but you're going to have to push the engine if you want to get there quickly. It suited my 200lb frame at the time. A couple years and fifteen pounds later, my stride was becoming more efficient and they were getting too heavy (12.1oz) to race with. Luckily, Brooks had just finished a new model called the Launch, which to me offered the same ride with less weight (9.3oz). I was sold on that alone. I ran with those for a year and a half or so. Same dilemma, great ride, too much weight on longer runs.

More efficient running, from left to right. Brooks Glycerin 7, Brooks Launch, Brooks PureFlow


With all that in mind, I was excited to about trying on the PureConnect. It looked like everything I needed: neutral, lean, and superlight at a measly 7.2oz. Looks and feels like a sleek racer. A fine switch back to Brooks from my stint with the Saucony Kinvara for about nine months. So with understated excitement I took a few strides with the PureConnect. These shoes were TOO lean and a little too restrictive in the toe box, especially for my 5'11", 185lb frame and size 12 clown feet. I needed just a little more shoe but the same fast feel.

Enter the PureFlow.



Looks like fun to me!

While I'm not really qualified to comment on the specific technologies that Brooks have put into this shoe, let me tell you that this shoe feels amazing.

What your Legs are Lifting - or - (W2 - W1) x f = energy saved:

At first glance, this shoe looks like it could be heavy. As I've mentioned above, I'm trying to avoid this. The sole comes out wide below the foot and its outward aesthetic implies added bulk. However, at a scant 8.7oz, they fly. Don't let the look fool you, these don't feel like much when you're wearing them.

You ask, "But it's only 0.6oz less than the Launch! How is there THAT big a difference?" Well, let's do the math. Let's say I do a run that takes me 20,000 foot strikes to complete (that's probably on the low end). Take the weight difference between the two shoes (0.6oz) and multiply it by 20,000, since that's how many times your legs are going to lift the shoe. That's 12,000oz, or 750 pounds of weight that your legs would otherwise have to lift during the course of that run. For any runner or triathlete, you know the saying: "Weight savings are time savings."

The PureFlow is heavier than the Kinvaras (7.2oz) I currently employ by a wide margin. The Kinvaras also tend to present mechanical problems for me on longer runs similar to that of the PureConnect as stated above. Until I lose 10-15 more lbs, I'll likely use the Sauconys for shorter races (up to 15k) and reserve the PureFlows for longer work because of...

The Ride:

Normally a shoe as light as the PureFlow would leave your feet feeling like they're spilling over the sides, but the standard-width PureFlow grants more than enough room up front for the large of foot. If you're like me, you don't like the shoe applying unnecessary pressure around the midfoot. The PureFlow uses a band (called the Nav Band) to keep the support on your foot consistent as you run. 

The platform of this shoe solid and allows for a quick turnover for mid and forefoot-running due to its 4mm heel-to-toe drop. It does a fine job of balancing cushioning with performance as well. While this creates a comfortable running experience, I found that it doesn't allow me a reliable "feel" for the ground when I'm running at paces quicker than 6:45/mi or so. Again, this is why I'm likely going to keep these handy for longer work when my head isn't concerned with trivial things like "how the ground feels." I know what it feels like. Hard.

First Impressions:

In order to get a complete idea of how the shoe performs, I'll typically take it for a light run, a track workout, and a middle-to-long run.

My first run in these was a light 20 minute run after a bike trainer session. The PureFlows felt plush and full under my feet. They feel as if you could run in them for days. Even during the pick-ups at the end of the run they felt light and fast. My turnover in them was a quick as ever. As I mentioned before though, you can't feel the pavement quite as well in these so I would imagine they feel a little off when you're doing strides or speedwork.

Mid-Distance Work:

On my second go around with the PureFlow, a longer run of about ten miles was in order to really test how they hold up longer stress. They always feel snug and firmly attached to your foot, not allowing a whole lot of "float" as other shoes tend to do. This typically will result in hotspots or blisters as the run goes on.

Within the first couple miles, I could really feel the Nav-Band cinching down on my midfoot with a little too much pressure. However, that seemed to subside after about 20 minutes on the trail. From miles 3-10, the PureFlow acted exactly how a good running shoe should feel, like an extnsion of the foot. I barely noticed them at all. They didn't affect my gait negatively. My feet didn't feel like they were ever spilling over the sides. Actually, I'd almost say I felt more efficient during this run. Had I brought water and nutrition with me, I could have gone another 5-7 miles in them easily.

Overall:

If you're a fan of Brooks, are a neutral runner, and have been looking for a lighter everyday trainer, this is the shoe for you. Low-weight combined with very stable support provides a cloud-like ride without sacrificing your technique or turnover. I would highly recommend giving these a test run next time you're at your local running store. A competitive $90 price point puts them on the same level as most other neutral shoes.  I'm bringing these to my next half-marathon or marathon without a doubt.

Have other thoughts on the PureFlow? Leave a comment!

Train well and be fast,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment